Thursday, March 28, 2013

Why There's No Comparing Tiffany & Co. to David Yurman (with pictures to prove it)

So a female colleague at my day job, knowing my adoration of David Yurman, remarked last week that DY is "great and all" but--and I quote--"we need to get you some Tiffany in your life." Knowing it was unwise to speak what I was thinking (i.e., Are you kidding me?!), I just blinked at her. But, really, are you kidding me? I mean, have you seen the men's collection at Tiffany & Co.? A glance at their offerings, and two words come to mind. Kay Jewelers. OK, so maybe that's not entirely fair. Glorified Kay Jewelers. (And that's entirely fair.)

You see, the offerings at Tiffany's for men are, to me, kind of sad. The line is just... kind of there. I get a sense there is very little corporate investment related to its development. While the pieces offered are sleak and clean in design, they are, in a word, boring. Or maybe "safe" is a better word. Or maybe "unremarkable." They certainly aren't cut to impress, to draw the eye. Still, I suppose that's OK. I mean, goodness knows not everyone wants his or her jewelry to make a statement. One should know, though, that in wanting not one's jewelry to make a statement, a person makes a very loud statement.

But that's enough dithering. My argument, dear reader, is, essentially, this: David Yurman is artistry. Tiffany & Co. produces (for men) accessories. If jewelry is, as Grace Kelly's character contends in Rear Window, "basic equipment," don't you want or, to use the D-word, deserve equipment in its highest form? If you're going to drop $600 on a ring, don't you want to buy the most elegantly-crafted available? That's all I'm saying. DY is on another level, a higher plane than is Tiffany's when it comes to men's collection design. So--what do you say--can we stop comparing apples to oranges?

Now having said that, allow me to present to you a slew of side-by-side product comparison shots. :)

The Basic Cuff
David Yurman Thoroughbred Cable Cuff
David Yurman, $450
Tiffany & Co. cuff
Tiffany & Co., $425

The Classic Band
David Yurman Streamline Band Ring
David Yurman, $425
Tiffany & Co. band ring
Tiffany & Co., $2250

The Cross Necklace
David Yurman Pave Diamond Chevron Cross Necklace
David Yurman, $785
Tiffany & Co. cross necklace
Tiffany & Co., $225

The Trend Ring
David Yurman Maritime Ring with Black Diamonds
David Yurman, $975
Tiffany & Co. trend ring
Tiffany & Co., $475
Do those help to elucidate my argument? See left for original, masterful designs. See right for those that suffice but call to mind pieces found at large-chain jewelry stores (or appear straight from the Armani Exchange catalog).

No comments:

Post a Comment