Monday, March 18, 2013

The Strange and Mystical Allure of Meteorite by David Yurman

The Meteorite Collection by David Yurman
The Meteorite Collection consists of
two necklaces, three rings (one not pictured),
and cufflinks.
In the last days of 2012, David Yurman debuted its limited-edition Meteorite Collection for men. The pieces, some of which are pictured here, feature cuts of an actual meteorite that purportedly missiled into Africa some time ago.

The moment I laid eyes on the collection I was, in a word, intrigued. I saw the product--the rings, primarily--glistening in the display case, and I'm pretty sure my mouth fell open. Minutes later I had one of those rings on my index finger (yes, I'm that guy who wears jewelry on all digits, excluding the thumb) and almost immediately, my interest waned. Let's get one thing straight here, though: the ring wasn't the problem. Like all DY pieces, it was beautifully crafted, a legitimate work of art. No, the problem was with the stone. Looked at straight on--that is, viewed on a flat plane--the meteorite was, well, dull. Non-reflective. Cloudy.

This transformation in the stone had me perplexed. How could a substance that was resplendent on display look so lousy on one's hand? I flicked my wrist up and, a second later, had my answer.

Right light, wrong angle
Basically, meteorite changes in appearance based on the angle of one's viewing. The best way I can describe it is to draw a comparison to tiger's eye. You know how there appears to be movement in that variety of stone when the jewelry into which it is set is turned from side to side or tilted up and down? The same phenomenon occurs in meteorite. Take a look at these images, and you'll see what I mean.

I now have a meteorite ring in my collection (more on my decision to buy later). Here (to the right) is what the surface of that ring's stone look like when viewed at a 180-degree angle. Yeah. Is that the surface of a "beautiful" mineral or of a scratched-up blackboard? But, now, look below, and you'll see what the piece looks like when viewed from a 90-degree angle. Now, suddenly, there is texture, dimension. Present are angles and stripes--wedges of pattern. For me, part of the magic and mystery of the stone is that its beauty is fickle, or state-dependent. It asks for more from the viewer than a casual glance. Despite its being outwardly unassuming, it is, really, quite the demanding stone.
Right light, right angle

While it has taken me quite some time to come to accept meteorite for what it is--three months elapsed from first encounter to date of acquisition--accept it I have. And so, without further ado, here are the top-three reasons I'm mad about meteorite (and why, perhaps, you should be too):

Reason #3: It gets compliments. Tons of them. From everybody. 

And I don't exaggerate this point. I often wear my meteorite signet ring on the same hand I wear my cognac-diamond band. Not once has a stranger remarked on the latter (despite its being bigger "bling"), but three times this week alone have comments been made about the meteorite.

Reason #2: It is limited edition.

Hey, the fewer made, the bigger the deal it is that you snagged one.

Reason #1: It is from the world beyond.

Friend: "I love your ring!"
You: "Oh, you do? Thanks!"
Friend: "Where'd you get it?"
You: "It's from outer space."
(OK, so you might want to first acknowledge it's David Yurman, but still, you see where I'm going with this.)

Thoughts on meteorite--I know you have them. So share 'em! Post a comment or E-mail me.

UPDATE: Mad about meteorite (and probably due to popular demand), David Yurman has expanded its men's collection for the F/W '13-14 season. Preview the new pieces and get all the details HERE.

7 comments:

  1. Just bought it. Fantastic. Goes with my gray hair and out of this world lifestyle. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm doing some research on meteorite rings (I want to get my fiance something unique for his band) and read a lot about rusting due to the high iron content. Can you provide any feedback on how your ring is holding up?!
    thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Vasilia. Sorry for the delay in responding. I know David Yurman does specially treat all cuts of meteorite for added protection against oxidization. Personally, I have pieces from the original limited edition collection and have yet to notice any difference in their appearance or finish.

      Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about my meteorite honeycomb tag necklace purchased just last fall. It's already beginning to develop rust lines where the meteorite meets the black titanium outer shell. The good news for all is that DY stands by its product like no other company I know. I say snag the band now and worry about longevity later but only because DY will back you 100%.

      I hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. Where is the meteorite collection made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marty, the meteorite cuts featured in DY Meteorite Collection jewelry find their source in the Gibeon meteorite, which fell in prehistoric times in modern-day Namibia. As for where the pieces themselves are manufactured, the country may vary, but the most common I've encountered is Italy. Cheers!

      Delete
  4. Just checked this out at Neiman's. They only had the titanium version. I'll wait for the silver. Still great looking piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post mate, keep up the great work, just shared this with my friendz
    Titanium Jewelry

    ReplyDelete