Wednesday, April 17, 2013

American Luxury, Chinese Labor: David Yurman and the Made-in-China Controversy

the made-in-China tag that's sometimes attached to David Yurman jewelry
Pictured here is the small tag that is sometimes strung to
David Yurman jewelry (depending on place of purchase).
Buy David Yurman from a stand-alone DY boutique, and receive a gift box, a receipt, a polishing cloth, and, of course, the piece or pieces themselves. Buy David Yurman from an authorized retailer or from DavidYurman.com, and receive the same... and, perhaps, two additional small tags (which boutique salespeople evidently remove). On one are printed item details and a barcode. On the other are three small but, for some, very significant words: made in China.

So what's the deal? Does DY produce all of its collections in China? Does it matter from where the company's designer jewelry comes? Should it matter? I've done some sleuthing, and here are the best answers I could find to some of the most commonly-asked questions regarding DY and those little gray tags (see left).

Does David Yurman produce all of its collections in China?

Personal experience and non-scientific research tell me DY produces approximately two-thirds of its jewelry in China. I've ordered, to date, some eighteen (18) pieces from DavidYurman.com. Twelve (12) of the eighteen, or 66.7%, arrived on my doorstep with made-in-China labels. Facebook user Lynnette Cook Struggles has also had a 2/3 experience, which she recounts in this message posted to David Yurman's Facebook wall on March 30, 2013:
DID love David Yurman, until I ordered two items ($2,000 value), when they arrived, both had 'Made in China' tags attached and the quality was poor - I could go to a reputable store and buy similar pieces in the costume jewelry section' PLUS when I called customer service, the first person was very unprofessional - second was great and informed me that all of the pieces are made in many different countries - Italy, Switzerland, China - she checked 3 items for me and 2/3 were made in China - very, very disappointed....
Does David Yurman have an official statement? 

David Yurman has maintained in the past that its lines are crafted by skilled artisans around in world, including those in the country of China.

Does it matter that pieces from David Yurman collections are made in China?

Perhaps not but, as Paul Midler of The Telegraph asserts, the made-in-China label is "tainted with a huge number of shoddy and dangerous products." When most think made-in-China, they don't think high-end, luxury jewelry. They think toy cars with lead paint. They think contaminated milk. They think dollar-store miscellany that is designed to exist but not necessarily last.

Then, of course, there is the outsourcing-takes-American-jobs complaint, which HuffPost Super User RosieRetro put like this:
I love how some women are determined to spend money on designer shoes and purses with outrageous prices that are being made by cheap Chinese labor. I stopped buying some designer purses like Coach, due to their "Made in China" tags. Coach used to be made in New York until it packed up its manufacturing operations and moved to China, thus resulting in New York losing jobs. Designer goods are not worth the prices unless the product is actually being made by crafters in the designer's country of origin. Stop paying ridiculous [sic] prices for cheap designer assembly-line output.

Finally, should it matter David Yurman produces in China?

This is where I want to hear from you. What's your take on DY's decision to take much production to China? Is this something about which consumers should be concerned? Should it have no bearing on one's perceptions of David Yurman? Sound off, and have your say. Post a comment or write me an E-mail.

29 comments:

  1. wow, no wonder there are so many "high quality" Chinese knock-offs of yurman jewelry...to the extent you can hardly tell the difference. Perhaps these "knock-off" vendors are really all in the same jewelry trade and are having a good laugh at American consumers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They absolutely are as is all Chinese knock-off. Including clothing they come from the same warehouses and Manufacturing in China. They have exactly the same machines making exactly the same stuff and it's the same stuff to come here so it's not really a knock off

      Delete
  2. I don't like it. Made in China is not saving us any money on the product. It's greed by all the designer companies. They start here and mark up the prices and have a great product. Then later, they go shopping to cut their costs while the prices stay the same or increase. They make more money. We get a lesser product. Again, I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cheap chinese costume junk at high prices. sold in ohio at James Free jewelers. i will never go into a james free store again......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Upsetting! Don't get me wrong, it's not their fault, the issue lies here in the US with it's corporations going abroad seeking cheaper labor to fill their pockets. I think DY is thinking in cost average-costs.

    For example made in - italy - $10 / Swiss - $7 / China - $4 total $21. Take the cost bases off the selling price and make his profit. I don't like it. But it is apparent that is what is going on based on the Made In what Country labels.

    I've been collecting DY and I'm on my 4th piece. I was looking for the Northstar ring and it stopped me dead in my tracks when I saw the made in China label. Again, I have nothing against the Chinese people, I'm more upset at corp america. It's not only about the product it's also about the jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not like anything that is made in China. I did not notice before, but almost all DY products are indicated as "imported". Most of Armani cloths are now made in China. Why we will have to pay so much for junk made in China.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Made in China"
    Never saw that label until unpacking the 3 pieces I purchased earlier this week. $4,025.
    After all, Tiffany's in the same mall !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was browsing on Bloomies website for a gift, and everything I loved was " imported". Loved DY until I learned he sold out to the Chinese... Sorry, but I agree with the article, made in China is not associated with high end, well made anything. Tiffany's is still made by European and American craftsman and the sterling silver is still in the same price point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Tiffany's or DY, the choice has been made for my wife's next gift and it will not be DY :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. When did he move production to china

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vona Consulting was established in New York, internationally operated with three offices in China. china manufacturing

    ReplyDelete
  11. We provide professional China Manufacturing and China Sourcing Services. china manufacturing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very disturbing, I love my David truman pieces but will be purchasing John Hardy from now on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Hardy jewellery is beautiful, however be aware that it is all made in Bali, Indonesia. They are very skilled craftsmen and women and I have seen this place myself. It does not mean the pieces are not wonderful, but it is still much cheaper labour than anywhere in the west.

      Delete
  13. I love DY jewelry and have a large collection. Most are retired, thus older pieces. Looking at an item today, I noticed the Made In China tag. DY gets low cost labor and I get the same high price item. NOT FOR ME. Unless I can identify Made In USA, I won't buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your older pieces- will of course go☝in value!At least there's consolation in that fact~ (I would think!) ��������������

      Delete
  14. Yes. I guess if you are a total fan of his designs then it's a big deal to own a piece (but quality of pieces sounds hit-and-miss from previous posts). I just got a pair of earrings as gift. My daughter who totally admires DY designs was quite impressed; me, not so much. The cost for what they are was too much, compared to similar pieces at a department store for much less. I tried to make the earrings seem better and cost-worthy by researching whether his jewelry is made in the US, but sadly was not justified.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just got some Yurman off eBay-not the most reputable place to buy-and I swore it was a knock off but I’m coming to realize Yurman is cheapening some of their products. Some are still great and others total total crap-very disappointing. I have 15 plus pieces purchased about 10 years ago and the quality was much much higher. What a joke

    ReplyDelete
  16. It’s actually sad to me bc his pieces really were a work of art and my retail prices have been with me for 12 years! Recent pieces can look like crap. One ring is so tacky that I’m embarrassed to wear it. Thanks but no thanks DY

    ReplyDelete
  17. Luxury jewelry and other items should NOT be made in China. Countries like Italy and France have always been known for very their fine craftsmanship. But China?? Yurman with his high-end expensive brand should be ashamed of himself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just recieved my DY jewelry. Made in China sticker clearly visible. Hinge does not work. I would �� believe I had ordered knock off jewelry if I had not ordered it from the website.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bought a pair of DY look-alike earrings on Etsy--made in India. Just saw that the same authentic earrings are also made in India. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would have never thought, have Loved his pieces, but this is disapoointing, this is part of the big problem with our country

    ReplyDelete
  21. There are fine craftsmen all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely true, but it's wether the individual company are actually tapping into them, have really good quality control and also are they paying them properly? The main issue is transparency, just be honest and open about the origin of a piece, then people can decide for themselves.

      Delete
  22. People don’t seem to mind ( or maybe don’t know) that very expensive Nike shoes and other athletic gear are made in China. Most of your expensive auto parts are not made in the US. Seems like hardly anything is.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just received my men’s DY ring from Neiman Marcus and was totally. Surprised it was made in India ? He advertises he is an American artist ? Seems very deceptive ?

    ReplyDelete