Saturday, August 10, 2013

What Can't Come Quickly Enough

David Yurman Men's Collection Product Display
The store's usually-enticing displays
looked, on this visit, a little rough.
This weekend brought, among others things, a trip to the David Yurman Chicago boutique on Oak Street. While my visit was, overall, a positive one (is it ever not?), it was also, unfortunately, an unremarkable one in three ways, which I will now enumerate below. These are, officially, The Three Things That Can't Come Quickly Enough:

1. Removal of Bündchen, Posting of Upton (or Menghia... or Mali or Hemingway)
Hasn't Fall 2013 launched? Why is an oversize Gisele still featured to the left of the store's front doors? Don't get me wrong; I love the model and her work for DY, but that image is from the Fall 2012 campaign. Out with the old. In with the new, right?

2. Demotion of Griffin Collection
Yes, I solemnly declare I seek the withdrawment of the Griffin line. I've now inspected thoroughly most of the rings in the collection and can say they are as I've all along thought--that is, average at best. Being such, they should not occupy a half of a display case (as they presently do), not in a boutique with only four men's collection cases! According to the sales professional with whom I spoke, the designs are only selling "OK" due to their being crafted for a "very specific customer" and having not all the "kinks [in design] worked out." Enough is enough, I say. Feature one piece--my vote goes to the red jasper signet ring--and place the rest in back stock.

3. Release of New Men's Product
Part of me really believed F/W pieces had debuted, just not online. That part of me was wrong. There are, at this time, no new men's arrivals in the DY boutiques either. And so we continue to wait. I've heard rumblings of a mid-September release. As always, I'll keep you posted.

That's all for now. DYguy over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment