Monday, May 6, 2013

Exclusive: The Three Distinct Looks of David Yurman Color-Change Garnet

David Yurman Color-Change Garnet Chevron Ring from the Men's Collection
Pictured are the three looks one can expect from DY color-change garnet.
Touted by David Yurman as "one of the rarest gemstones on earth," color-change garnet is sometimes thought to exhibit only two unique looks. I'd argue, however, after wearing this Chevron ring for some weeks now, that the stone boasts three.

The first look is the one shown in the left-most image above, the color profile being that of a Caribbean blue-green. This hue is achieved when the mineral is exposed to indirect natural light (or the direct artificial light produced by bulbs bearing descriptors of "natural," "reveal," or "sunshine"). The second look, which is shown in the middle image, is achieved via bright, midday sunlight. There is no color profile, really, about which to speak, as, under this light, the stone takes on the appearance of a translucent, especially-brilliant black diamond. Color-change garnet's third look, then, is the one shown in the right-most image. (By the way, none of the component images in this triad has been digitally altered.) This warm violet color of look three is achieved in incandescent, household light.

While I can (and do) appreciate all three looks of color-change garnet, I must say my own personal preferred states are the first two. What about you? Tell me: which look do you like best? Sound off; get your comment posting or E-mail writing on!

1 comment:

  1. I'm drooling over your ring. I want the color change garnet band very much. Boyfriend of three years recently left without even a note so I'm left to handle all the bills alone. The dream of getting the ring is drifting further...You'd think the Universe would send it my way so that I could marry myself. And I have nice hands.
    Poor me!
    But I'm glad you have it. DY's stuff is brilliant! Last piece I got was the skull with ruby eyes. I love it.
    Thanks for the photo.

    - J

    ReplyDelete