Wednesday, May 15, 2013

David Yurman Targets New Market Segment with Griffin Collection

New Designs for Men from the David Yurman Griffin Collection
Pictured are designs from Yurman's new Griffin Collection for men.
Pieces range from $350 to $2600.
"Bold" is a word I'd use to describe David Yurman's fresh-from-the-studio Griffin Collection. "Curious" is another. As I've mentioned in an earlier post, these designs are anything but quintessential, classic Yurman. In fact, if it weren't for the shape of and antiquing on the tag necklace (see above), I'm not sure I'd even make the Yurman connection. I'd think Stephen Webster or Scott Kay. (I know. Scott Kay. Gross.) That's not to say I dislike what DY is doing here. It's just that these creations, I think, are not for me. While the motifs employed are designed, according to David Yurman copy, to "conjure... symbolic power," I don't think I'm--what's the right word?--burly enough for these to mesh with my look. The designs are sharp, hard, and, well, almost angry. They have an Armory Collection feel to them with the heavy antiquing and use of spikes on the amulets, but I can wear and pull off Armory, whereas I don't think I can Griffin.

I wish Yurman provided a
second, alternate product image
for this three-sided ring.
I'm interested to know what's out
of view on the left there.
And so for whom has this collection been prepared? For whatever reason, I see men with thick sausage
fingers working (and rocking) Griffin. I see the collection on gents who fancy the mythical (and mystical, for that matter). I see it on those whose chest hair is ample, those who wear only jackets of leather, those whose  musk is heavy and whose beards are dense. Will these men pay for Yurman? Will Yurman actively target them in advertising? Only time will tell, I suppose. I will say this, though: It is going to be an interesting fall/winter for the DY Men's Collection. At this point, what comes next is likely anybody's guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment