Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Made-in-China Controversy Continues: DY Gets Called out on Facebook

It's no secret that David Yurman produces a portion of its jewelry in China. I reported on this empirical fact back in April of this year. Still, when an individual publicly confronts the company on the matter with a tone resolutely accusatory, one cannot help but take notice.

A week and a half ago, Facebook user Jenny Flowers posted this message to David Yurman's wall:

a message from Facebook user Jenny Flowers to David Yurman, accusing the company of being akin to a Wal-Mart of the world, whose product is made principally in China
Likely fearing that a non-response could be construed as a tacit admission of wrongdoing, DY swiftly responded, albeit simply by stating the official company position. Being anything but mollified by this, Ms. Flowers then issued her own rejoinder in which she ramped up the rhetoric and her vehemence. Take a look:

DY responses to Ms. Flowers by explaining "a portion" of David Yurman jewelry is "produced globally." Ms. Flowers then responses by claiming she is "DONE, DONE, DONE with DY."
And so ends that uncomfortable exchange. 

I don't know; truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of Chinese manufacturing. Its bad rap is somewhat warranted as, hey, much shoddy product does originate in China. That being said, if a product exudes quality (and that's a big if, I know), does the source country really matter? I mean, I have in my collection DY made in China and DY made elsewhere. Is there a discernible difference in production quality? The answer is an unqualified, uppercase NO. There is no difference. And so, really, public perception aside, I have to ask the question: What's the big deal? Tell me: Is there a big deal?

Sound off; I want to hear from you. Post a comment or shoot me an E-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment